Find Me...

Contact Twitter Goodreads Pinterest Facebook Rss Feed

Ratings

My Ratings Guide

Archives

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Sunday 24 March 2013

Review ~ What's left of me by Kat Zhang

Author:- Kat Zhang
Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
Publisher:- Harper Collins
Published:- October 1, 2012
Source:- Netgalley
Series:- The Hybrid Chronicles #1

Synopsis


I should not exist. But I do. 

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . . 

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.

Paperback Princess Review

I had literally just finished reading the last page of "What's Left of Me" by Kat Zhang and had to take a breather before I wrote this review...a time to reflect upon the story as I devoured this book. 

What's Left of Me is based in a semi-futuristic world where children are born with two souls, but at a certain age the dominant soul takes over and the secondary and weaker soul slowly diminishes till it's completely gone, this is called "settling".  Children are supposed to settle at a certain age, at 15 years of age Addie and Eva are considered hybrids as they still haven't settled. They must keep the fact that they're hybrids a secret as the Government officials think hybrids are a threat to their society so they seek them out and lock them up. Addie tries to pretend to those around her that she has settled, only if they truly knew Eva is still in there, quiet but very much present.

This is the first book in The Hybrid Chronicles by Kat Zhang. I was amazed at the originality of the plot. It made me think of children with imaginary friends and how as they grow older those imaginary friends eventually disappear, it made me curious and thinking, imagine if that was another soul within a child's body as per this story. This story and the theoretical concept within it's pages are unparalleled to other dystopian novels to date and this is where the book really excels.

The Author did well with her characters, I really sympathised with both their situations. I understood Addie is conflicted, despite the fact that she loves Eva, she also wants a bit of privacy in her life, she wants to live her own life without having to worry about Eva's thoughts/wants/needs but at the same time she can't complete let Eva go even if she had wanted to. Eva is more the quiet voice, so I understood why she was the recessive soul, but I also understood her misgivings, I mean, how would I feel if I was within a body I couldn't control, see things I don't want to see and do things I don't want to do!

What's Left of Me is fast-paced, suspenseful and action-packed. It was one of those books that as soon as you cracked it's spine you couldn't put it down till you get to the end. As you can probably tell, I'm biting my nails in anticipation to read the remaining books in the series. There was only one thing that disappointed me in this book and that was the ending, the ending fell slightly flat for me, but I don't know if it's because the rest of the book were so energised that the ending felt a bit bland in comparison. Every chapter within this book was filled with something new, something heart pumping was always around the corner, it was definitely a nail-biting read, so I'm unsure if that's why the ending felt slightly disappointing. Despite this I loved the book and still highly recommend it! My ratings don't give 1/2 stars but I would have given What's Left of Me (4.5 stars).


1 comments:

Andrea @ The Overstuffed Bookcase said...

I loved this book as well! I can't remember the ending right now, so I can't remember if it fell flat for me as well or not. Great review!

Search

Follow Me

Follow on Bloglovin
Button for Paperback Princess

© Paperback Princess | Blog Design by Sarah Bryan | Digital Scrapbooking kits used: Once Upon a Time by Indigo Designs and Enchanted Neighborhood by Irene Alexeeva.